Podcasts have gone mainstream. As of March 2020, 37 % of People over the age of 12 — round 104 million individuals — take heed to at the very least one podcast per 30 days in keeping with Edison Analysis. However podcasts are sometimes poorly optimized for search engines like google and yahoo.
Drive extra natural search site visitors to your podcast with these 10 suggestions.
10 search engine marketing Suggestions for Podcasts
1. Obsess over the message, not the gear. The worth of a podcast’s content material is paramount. Absent worth, it doesn’t matter if the recording is on a $1,000 microphone. Spend time honing the content material. Everything else is secondary.
2. Host episodes in your web site. Hyperlink authority is without doubt one of the most essential features of SEO. Different websites will hyperlink to the place the podcast is hosted. You want that to be your web site, reasonably than on podcast directories, equivalent to Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Play.
Your podcast can reside in a listing in your ecommerce area, the place every episode has its personal web page. The essential anatomy of a web page ought to embody:
- An audio (or video) file;
- A picture;
- Present notes — i.e., a timestamped desk of contents to assist listeners discover highlights;
- A transcript, probably edited for size and readability.
3. Nail the identify. It’s tempting to provide you with a intelligent identify in your podcast. However the identify is important for natural search. Many extra listeners will seek for the podcast’s subject than its identify.
Use the subject within the identify of the podcast. (Ours is “Ecommerce Conversations,” for instance.) In the event you should have a inventive identify, embody each the subject and the names, equivalent to “Cinderella’s Slipper: A Girls’s Footwear Podcast” or “The Open for Enterprise Podcast.” So long as you have got the subject and the phrase “podcast” or equal within the title, your probabilities of being discovered by searchers are a lot increased.
4. Set key phrase themes for episodes. Begin with the keyword research you’ve accomplished in your web site. Then lengthen the analysis into question-and-answer and how-to areas. Don’t be afraid to observe tangents. They will result in wealthy veins of key phrase information you may not have discovered in any other case.
Use the key phrases in an episode’s title in addition to its audio or video. That can guarantee these phrases are within the important search engine marketing parts: title tag, URL, and transcript.
5. Transcribe to textual content. Take the time to incorporate the textual parts that search engines like google and yahoo can index simply and deeply. Many listeners will recognize the complete textual content, particularly those that need to quote an episode or hyperlink to it.
6. Double down with video. You’re already recording audio. Flip a digicam on and seize the video, too. YouTube is the world’s second-largest search engine. Listeners go there to eat podcasts. In the event you can’t bear to be on video, contemplate setting the audio observe to a video of nonetheless pictures.
7. Use the content material all over the place. Your podcast is content material advertising and marketing gold. Use parts of it the place you market your merchandise, all the time linking again to an episode.
Share quotes and pictures on social media. Write a weblog publish — or two or three — on fascinating features of the podcast. Embrace each episode in an e-mail publication. Attain out to related influencers to pitch your episode. Use snippets to reply questions on Quora, boards, and social media. You possibly can even use video snippets in social media promoting.
The secret is the hyperlink to an episode web page in your web site. All of these hyperlinks build authority. Search bots will observe the hyperlinks, enhancing authority. And people will click on the hyperlinks and interact with the content material, which might lead to extra hyperlinks.
8. Distribute extensively. Podcast directories use your RSS feed to find episodes and ship them to their listeners. Each listing you submit your podcast to features a hyperlink again to your web site while you host the podcast your self. These directories are usually authoritative. Hyperlinks from them are invaluable additions to your backlink profile. Furthermore, each podcast listing has its personal following. Submitting to just one or two means lacking out on the hyperlinks and listeners from all of the others.
On the very least, submit your podcast to the large three: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Play. After that, contemplate Stitcher, TuneIn, Soundcloud, Podcaster, and dozens of others you’ll discover in a Google search.
9. Interview influencers. An influencer is anybody who attracts an viewers in your podcast subject. It could possibly be trade colleagues or prospects (who use your merchandise). An influencer might point out her look in your podcast to her listeners and readers, doubtless triggering extra hyperlinks and rising your natural search authority.
10. Be constant. Set a sensible schedule and keep on with it. The extra you publish, although, the quicker you’ll see outcomes. Like a weblog, chances are you’ll want to provide and promote tens of episodes earlier than you acquire a lot traction.
Contemplate posting multiple episode at launch. In the event that they like your podcast, listeners might binge on a few episodes and share their discovery with the remainder of the world.